Technicians Stepping Into Supervision and Management
Transition into supervision and management with skills, knowledge and confidence.
Type of Course: Management ⇲ Download Brochure
Course Reference: HOC-021
As a new or aspiring manager, the role of supervision and management can be both exciting
and challenging. To succeed, you will need people management knowledge and skills,
coupled with process management practical tools. This is the backdrop for designing and
developing a tailored course to help technicians feel and become confident in stepping into
supervision and management. Throughout the programme participants will be expected to
apply the concepts and techniques taught to work-related situations in order to enhance
their learning for effective transition from a specialist to manager.
*Click on the headings below to find more information about the course.
This two day course is delivered over 2 consecutive weeks by a highly experienced technical
management practitioner with 30+ years of experience in higher education, both in Russell
Group and post-92 universities. The course has been designed to accommodate various
learning styles and to allow participants to learn from theory and practice, group discussions
and individual reflection on their current practice. It will utilise formative assessments to
increase learner knowledge, competency and confidence; enabling and empowering them to implement learnt skills in their work.
Aim: To increase people management skills and process management know-how, essential
for a smooth transition into supervision and management.
Objectives are to explore the following:
● the role and expectations of a manager
● tasks relevant to all management jobs – understand what’s expected of you
● golden rules of transitioning from specialist to manager
● supervision relevant to the technical services
● how to overcome challenges faced by new managers
● leading people, setting direction and aligning the team
● teamwork: dynamics, challenges and establishing credibility
● listening and communication: effective, open and ongoing
● planning: meetings, presentations and reports
● managing a meeting and your role
● the organisational plan and line of sight in achieving goals
● organising time, work and being accountable
● control and motivation: yourself and others
● making decisions and performance appraisal
● problem solving process
● step by step actions for delegation
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
● develop their people management skills and confidence through
● effective listening and questioning
● problem solving and decision-making
● delegation and motivation
● apply process management tools for effective achievement of tasks
● perform with increased competency in managing and leading people
● develop an action plan with confidence for improving their management skills
● Online instructor-led over zoom
● Onsite face-to-face – (currently not available due to Covid-19 pandemic)
2 days, over 2 weeks
This activity is subject to minimum group numbers but can be delivered on-site at your
institution at a time and date to suit your team. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
For HEaTED members, we offer 1 free place for every 10 bookings, and 2 for groups of 15 or above.