Leadership and management skills for technical staff
Explore theories of leadership and management alongside workplace experiences in this holistic and tailored learning experience.
Type of Course: Leadership ⇲ Download Brochure
Course Reference: HOC-006, HFFC-018, HBS-001
This course has been designed to cover eight key topics, linking theories of leadership and management together with workplace experiences, thereby providing a more holistic approach to learning. Delivery is through the provision of informal active learning sessions, which are intended to develop personal and professional leadership and management skills to enhance planning and delivery of services. Discovery learning forms a large part of this programme and as such collaboration amongst participants to discuss core concepts and reflect on current practice is actively encouraged in order to create a more tailored learning experience. We will consider communication, motivation, delegation, team roles and theories of team development affecting the efficiency of teams.
Throughout the programme you will be expected to apply the concepts and techniques taught to work-related situations in order to enhance your learning.
This course has been designed to accommodate various learning styles and to allow participants to learn from group discussions and individual reflection on the current practice. The participants will be encouraged to implement learnt skills in their work.
*Click on the headings below to find more information about the course.
The aim is to explore leadership and management concepts by linking theories with workplace practice.
Objectives of the course include exploring the following:
- Leadership versus management
- Supporting and leading teams
- Developing yourself and others
- Chairing meetings
- Change management
- Problem solving and decision making
- Creative leadership
- Project management
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and apply leadership and management styles
- Recognise the importance of developing effective leadership skills
- Explore how communication, motivation, delegation, team roles and theories of team development affect the efficiency of teams
- Conduct self-reflection and analysis, as well as personal/professional development
“Very good, I look forward to the main course when it becomes available.”
Fiona Wright, University of Sheffield
“Very well done course today. A great course for those beginning in leadership and management.”
Bill Surradge, Edinburgh Napier University
“Excellent talk and discussion. Really useful to hear testimonials and opinions off other technical managers with or without experience. The facilitator has plenty of experience in technical management. Well done HEaTED.”
Maria Guzman, Manchester Metropolitan University
“Thank you for the course!”
Michal Perdjon, Cardiff University
- Online (HOC-006) – Instructor-led event
- Onsite (HFFC-018) – Face-to-Face (Currently not available due to Covid-19 pandemic)
- Bitesize (HBS-001)* – Short, online – Instructor-led event
* These are shorter versions of the course at a substantially discounted rate, to give you a flavour of what the full course is about.
If you enjoy the bitesize course and want to complete the full onsite or online course afterwards, there will be a further discount.
2 Days (Around 12 hours)
This activity is subject to minimum group numbers but can be delivered on-site at your
institution at a time and date to suit your team. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
For HEaTED members, we offer 1 free place for every 10 bookings, and 2 for groups of 15 or above.