Technicians Supporting Outreach Activities
Discover how to support successful outreach activities in higher education
Type of Course: Personal Development ⇲ Download Brochure
Course Reference: HOC-011, HFFC-002
Outreach activities to schools, colleges and the general public is an essential activity of the university portfolio. It supports young people and parents in making informed decisions and enables student recruitment. Technicians are uniquely placed to provide outreach activities, as they are engaged in supporting teaching and learning, research and knowledge transfer activities.
This course has been designed to accommodate various learning styles and to allow participants to learn from group discussions, individual reflection on the current practice. The
participants will be encouraged to implement learnt skills in their work.
*Click on the headings below to find more information about the course.
The aim is to explore how to conduct outreach sessions in schools and colleges.
Objectives of the course include exploring the following:
- Types of outreach activities
- How to plan an outreach programme
- How to get others involved in the organisation
- H&S considerations in outreach activities: engaging young people
- Communication skills and live public demonstrations
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- create an outline for outreach activities they could support or lead
- explore ways to make outreach to schools effective
- examine ways to increase technicians’ profiles through outreach
- develop skills and gain insight into effective outreach practice
- design demonstrations suitable for the public
- understand the health and safety concerns in engaging with young people
“Enjoyed the course. 5 Stars.”
Janie-Anne Pickrell, University of Strathclyde
“Interesting and nice opportunity to interact with other technicians.”
Julie McLaren, University of Sunderland
“Lovely to see / talk to other people!”
Jan Brett, University of Liverpool
This course has been awarded star ratings by our delegates to demonstrate the quality of the course. 5 being outstanding and 1 being poor.
67% rated this course – 5 stars
33% rated this course – 4 stars
0% rated this course – 1/2/3 stars
- Online (HOC-011) – Instructor-led event
- Onsite (HFFC-002) – Face-to-Face (Currently not available due to Covid-19 pandemic)
1 Day (Around 6 hours)
This activity is subject to minimum group numbers but can be delivered on-site at your
institution at a time and date to suit your team. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
For HEaTED members, we offer 1 free place for every 10 bookings, and 2 for groups of 15 or above.