Technicians Supporting Students' Wellbeing & Mental Health
Gain the skills and knowledge to support Students’ mental health and our own
Type of Course: Personal Development ⇲ Download Brochure
Course Reference: HOC-015, HFFC-015, HBS-006
This CPD is suitable for any technical and professional services staff who wish to understand mental health issues in relation to helping students in a pastoral role; and safeguard their own mental health. The one day interactive CPD will focus on developing skills and confidence to make effective approaches to students who may be struggling with anxiety or other mental health concerns. The CPD will provide practical help and guidance for technicians in understanding what is mental health, and how to signpost and refer students to University services and other on line resources. We will also examine how to keep yourself well whilst helping others, and explore common concerns in regards to boundaries and possible interventions.
This course has been designed to accommodate various learning styles and to allow participants to learn from group discussions and individual reflection on the current practice. The participants will be encouraged to implement learnt skills in their work.
*Click on the headings below to find more information about the course.
The aim is to provide participants with the skills, knowledge and confidence to equip them in their workplace in relation to common mental health concerns of students.
Objectives of the course include exploring the following:
- Understand key facts about mental health for staff and students
- Thinking about how to identify early signs of anxiety within ourselves and others
- Understanding how to clearly signpost to suitable MH resources both within and outside your institution.
- Gaining an understanding of levels of intervention necessary when concerned about students
- Thinking about best practice in relation to working with students including boundaries, confidentiality and self care.
- To disseminate solid mental health resources for use with students including CWT’s e-learning and SAD website.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Have an increased awareness of Mental Health
- Confidently respond to Student Mental Health needs in an effective and informed manner
- Effectively signpost students to appropriate University and online resources
- Understand how to maintain their own mental health and boundaries in relation to helping others
- Be familiar with CWT e-learning and SAD resources
- Online (HOC-015) – Instructor-led event
- Onsite (HFFC-005) – Face-to-Face (Currently not available due to Covid-19 pandemic)
- Bitesize (HBS-006)* – Short, online – Instructor-led event
* These are shorter versions of the course at a substantially discounted rate, to give you a flavour of what the full course is about.
If you enjoy the bitesize course and want to complete the full onsite or online course afterwards, there will be a further discount.
1 Day (Around 6 hours)
This activity is subject to minimum group numbers but can be delivered on-site at your
institution at a time and date to suit your team. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For HEaTED members, we offer 1 free place for every 10 bookings, and 2 for groups of 15 or above.