Unconscious Bias: Awareness, Application and Organisational Action
Learn how Unconscious (implicit) Bias affects our behaviour and our systems, and what we can all do to help mitigate our personal biases.
This 3 hour course is designed to:
- Introduce delegates to the underpinning principles of unconscious bias
- Outline the evidence for the impact of unconscious bias on our key people processes at work (e.g. recruiting, staff development, work allocation, performance, management)
- Allow delegates time to unpick their systems and processes looking for the risk of bias
- Share with delegates research led ideas to help mitigate their personal and organisational biases
- Develop actions plans for adapting systems to mitigate bias
*Click on the headings below to find more information about the course.
The aim of this course is to (1) Introduce delegates to the underpinning principles of unconscious bias (2) Outline the evidence for the impact of unconscious bias on our key people processes at work (e.g. recruiting, staff development, work allocation, performance ,management) (3) Allow delegates time to unpick their systems and processes looking for the risk of bias (4) Share with delegates research led ideas to help mitigate their personal and organisational biases (5) Develop actions plans for adapting systems to mitigate bias.
Objectives of the course include exploring the following:
1. How and why our unconscious biases (UB) develop
2. How our neurology creates and maintains our UB
3. The types of bias affecting us at work
4. The work conditions which can trigger biases
5. How UB impacts key people processes such as recruiting, work allocation, performance management, promotion and coaching/sponsorship
6. How UB extends into differences such as Age, Bodyweight, Disability, Ethnicity, Gender, Height and Marital Status
7. Identify the risk points within key processes where bias may appear
8. Identify the changes that can be made to bias proof systems and processes
9. What we can do to help mitigate our personal biases at work
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the underlying principle of unconscious bias
- Understand the way unconscious bias impacts our decision making
- Recognise the types of and triggers for Unconscious Bias
- Recognise the methods we can employ to mitigate our personal biases skills
- Identify the risk points for bias in key processes and systems
- Develop action plans to target the risks of biases in key processes and
- Online (HOC-017) – Instructor-led event
- Bitesize (HBS-004)* – Short, online – Instructor-led event
* These are shorter versions of the course at a substantially discounted rate, to give you a flavour of what the full course is about.
If you enjoy the bitesize course and want to complete the full onsite or online course afterwards, there will be a further discount.
Bitesize: £30.00 (£5.00 per pre/post course test)
Bitesize: £50.00 (£5.00 per pre/post course test)
1/2 Day (Around 3 hours)
This activity is subject to minimum group numbers but can be delivered on-site at your institution at a time and date to suit your team. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For HEaTED members, we offer 1 free place for every 10 bookings, and 2 for groups of 15 or above.