Coaching skills for technical professionals
Influence, motivate and boost performance through coaching skills
In professional settings, people must work with and through others to achieve goals. Coaching empowers people to take greater responsibility and ownership of their work. Coaching conversations are highly effective in influencing coachee thinking, feeling, and behaviour, leading to increase in performance and progress. This is especially relevant for technical supervisors, leaders and managers who want to build and maintain trust with team members, increase motivation and continuous service improvement.
Coaching helps the coachee to gain their own insights into a situation, usually on issues related to performance, development and decision-making. The process of questioning, listening, summarising, providing observations, feedback and summaries, enables the coachee to come up with the answers themselves. A successful coaching conversation is one that is open and honest, agenda and outcomes are owned and determined by the coachee, and helps the coachee to explore their situation, whilst building strengths and addressing weaknesses.
This course is tailor made for technical staff in Higher Education. It accommodates various learning styles, to allow participants to learn from theory and practice, through group discussions and individual reflection. It will utilise hands-on activities and formative assessments to increase knowledge, competency and confidence for workplace impact.
Select the date you would like to attend by clicking the buttons below:
*Click on the headings below to find more information about the course.
Aim: To increase awareness and equip participants with coaching skills, knowledge and confidence in the technical services environment.
Objectives: To explore:-
- The what and why of coaching – how it differs from mentoring and training
- Coaching leadership style and the benefits for technical services
- Coaching as an effective communication technique
- Building rapport, trust and credibility with others
- The GROW coaching model summary and key questions
- Setting goals and incorporating coaching into day-to-day work
- Active listening with a focus on what is being said and not said
- Effective questioning to uncover thoughts, perspectives and views
- Positive language and Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Technical services succession planning: coaching or mentoring?
By the end of this course, participants are expected to be able to:
- Understand the role and benefits of coaching in the technical services
- Develop skills and behaviours for communication and coaching
- Apply a simple framework for coaching
- Build stronger relationships, listen and question effectively
- Better engage team members, increase team morale and performance
- Instructor-led Online
- Face-to-face Onsite
1 X Onsite Course Credit
1 X Onsite Course Credit
1 Day (Around 6 hours)
This activity is subject to minimum group numbers but can be delivered on-site at your institution at a time and date to suit your team. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
For HEaTED members, we offer 1 free place for every 10 bookings, and 2 for groups of 15 or above.