Location: University of Bristol
Faculty / Function: Faculty of Science
Salary: £30,497 – £34,304 per annum
Closing Date: 26 January 2022
Contract Type: Open Ended
This is an exciting opportunity to join the technical team of the School of Geographical Sciences at the University of Bristol, providing support to the research and consultancy activities of the School’s research laboratory. These laboratories support researchers across the Faculty of Science with interest in aqueous, glacial and terrestrial biogeochemistry. The facility has an international reputation in low temperature biogeochemical experimentation and stable isotope analysis and is routinely engaged in efforts to develop novel protocols and applications for environmental analysis.
What will you be doing?
The role holder will be responsible for the servicing, maintenance and calibration of specialist equipment such as ion and gas chromatographs, mass spectrometers and nutrient and carbon analysers, as well as sourcing and maintaining stocks of lab materials and consumables. The successful applicant will use their specialist knowledge and skills to engage, support and train students and technical and academic colleagues in techniques associated with environmental analysis, contribute to the development of novel research methods and the delivery of consultancy services. They will also have a good working knowledge of the health and safety requirements for these activities.
You should apply if you have:
- Detailed specialist knowledge and refined analytical and troubleshooting skills; significant experience in ion and gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, nutrient and carbon analysis for environmental samples.
- Excellent IT skills, working knowledge of relevant specialist software
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to deal with and prioritise a range of ongoing tasks at the same time, and to be able to cope under pressure
- Ability to review and advise on complex procedures
- Ability to work independently towards pre-defined goals
- Consistently maintaining a high level of accuracy and precision in all areas of work
- Innovative approach to work
- Relevant qualifications at GCSE, or NVQ level 2/3, or equivalent level, plus relevant work experience.
It would also be desirable if candidates have:
- Relevant qualification (Environmental Sciences, Chemistry, Geography) at degree or equivalent level
- Appropriate professional registration